Easley, SC asked in Collections for South Carolina

Q: My wife is being sued for a charged off credit card by a debt collector. It appears that the suit was filed exactly 3

Years from date of last payment. If the SOA expires the same month as filing the suit, can they win? Is it also true that Social Security payments cannot be garnished. We are fixed income, and both on disability.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Cary, NC

A: I am licensed in NC not SC. For statute of limitations purposes, you look at the period between the date on which the complaint was filed and the date of the last payment. If your statute of limitations is 3 years, then see if its been 3 years or more. Even if the lawsuit was filed on the last day, it is is timely. I would go to an SC credit card defense lawyer just to make sure.

If the complaint was not timely, then pay a lawyer to draft a proper answer for you. It will be worth it. If the lawsuit is timely, then you do get certain exemptions under SC law which you can claim. However, you will need to see a lawyer about that when a judgment is entered.

Social Security cannot be garnished for a credit card debt as a matter of federal law.

If only your wife is obligated on the debt, I would not have her own anything going forward. You should sit down with an attorney and go over your exemptions and how things are titled to position your wife to protect as much of her assets as she can.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.