South Carolina Collections Questions & Answers

Q: I was served a summons for a credit card bill. It says if I dont reply a default judgement will be made. What's that?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on Oct 17, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
I do not practice in South Carolina, but your question hasn’t been picked up in two weeks. And the response time for a summons is relatively short in any state throughout the nation. A default judgment is a binding judgment against a party in a legal action resulting from the person failing to do something, such as failing to respond to a request or failing to appear in court, etc. You don’t want that to happen. A South Carolina attorney who deals with collections lawsuits would be able to...

Q: Can Military retirement levied from a bank account after a judgement in SC. It's consumer debt only. (Not VA disability)

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on Jun 14, 2018
D. Nathan Davis' answer
Section 38 U.S. Code § 5301 clearly states that military retirement is exempt from levy by most creditors. A credit card debt is not one of the creditors who can levy on retirement pay. The issue is that some states will allow the levy if anything else is in the account such as spouse's money, a part-time job etc.

Once the money is taken, it is always hard to get it back. You may want to send a letter to the attorney for the creditor who obtains the judgment advising them that...

Q: How long does a credit app/payment terms stay valid with a vendor? Does it expire? It's been 8 years since filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Business Law, Collections and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Answered on May 7, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
If you actually received the goods, then the app/credit terms is a contract valid until paid or until the statute of limitations in your state expires. If you did not receive the goods per the app/credit terms, then there is no contract and no monies are due.

Q: What can I do If I have no money for Doctors, medicine and food after paying credit cards with SS?Can they take my SS?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Social Security for South Carolina on
Answered on Feb 26, 2018
D. Nathan Davis' answer
Your Social Security cannot be seized by a creditor to pay a bill. Unfortunately, a creditor may try to seize your money and then you may have to hire an attorney if a creditor does, in fact, seize your money.

You need to contact a local Legal Aid Office near you and schedule an appointment to meet with them. Hopefully, the Legal Aid Office can send letters to your creditors that explain that your only income is Social Security. If the creditor still tries to seize your money, then,...

Q: my mom just passed away i am the only heir i live in her home in sc can judgements take the home if its all she had?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on Oct 3, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
I am sorry for your loss. The best thing to do is to go see a probate attorney immediately for a full discussion about what needs to be done and how to do it.

Q: Can the horry county sheriff seize, and sell my primary residence trailer on leased land,to pay off a $8000 judgement?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on May 6, 2015
Andrew "Andy" Potter's answer
If you have a consumer debt judgment, the Horry County Sheriff does nothing unless the judgment holder files a proper action with the court and the court orders the Sheriff to do something specific. It is a challenge to collect judgment debts in South Carolina as a judgment holder must file supplemental proceedings in the same manner as a regular lawsuit. A chapter 7 bankruptcy option would appear to be something you should consider. You need to meet with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer and...

Q: My wife is being sued for a charged off credit card by a debt collector. It appears that the suit was filed exactly 3

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on Apr 3, 2013
Rachel Lea Hunter's answer
I am licensed in NC not SC. For statute of limitations purposes, you look at the period between the date on which the complaint was filed and the date of the last payment. If your statute of limitations is 3 years, then see if its been 3 years or more. Even if the lawsuit was filed on the last day, it is is timely. I would go to an SC credit card defense lawyer just to make sure.

If the complaint was not timely, then pay a lawyer to draft a proper answer for you. It will be worth it....

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.