Asked in Probate for Maryland

Q: My sister passed left 3 children no will 1 child saying others wont get anything wont give them pprobate solicitors name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: When an estate is opened, it becomes a matter of public record. Also, notice must be mailed to every interested person which includes any children of the deceased.

If no one received notice of the estate details, it may be that an estate has not yet been opened - the law lists people with priority to manage an estate (serve as Personal Representative) if there is no will. Generally any child has equal priority to seek appointment.

To find out if an estate has been opened, contact the Register of Wills for the county where the deceased person last lived.

While I hope this general legal information helps, it doesn't provide legal advice on the specifics of your situation and shouldn't take the place of meeting with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.