Rusk, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: Spouse is in jail on a family violence charge. he turned down his crt appointed attorney. will this put off court date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawn H. Smith
Shawn H. Smith
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Texas

A: That depends on the Judge. He will still be brought before the court and admonished by the judge to either hire an attorney or accept a court appointed one. Most of the time judges will not allow this to delay things for very long, if at all. If he is doing it to delay, it will not work out well for him. The last thing you want is for the judge to be annoyed with you before the case even really starts. Also, there are probably things an attorney would be doing for him at this point that are going undone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.