Garland, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: How much time will my husband be facing if he got arrested in Garland, Texas for aggravated assault against his father...

If no weapons were used and this is his first crime ever committed in the state of Texas?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawn H. Smith
Shawn H. Smith
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the aggravated assault was not due to the fact that he used a weapon, then they must be alleging that he caused serious bodily injury. This is a second degree felony in Texas, carrying a punishment range of 2 to 20 years in prison, with a possible fine of $10,000. The actual amount of punishment he receives will depend on several factors, including the severity of the injury and the circumstances of the assault. They will also take his criminal history into account. I see that you say he has no history in Texas, which seems to insinuate that he has some in another state. They will take his criminal history from all states into account when making you an offer. You really need to speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney about this. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.