If my husband was abusive, can I get a settlement?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Shawn H. Smith

Answered 2 years ago

This is a pretty vague question, we would need a few details at least to answer fully. If you are talking about a settlement as part of a divorce, then yes. Abuse during the marriage can cause the judge to award you more of the property than they would otherwise, but it is not automatic and you would need an attorney to help you make your case to the judge.