Asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: TPS and change of status

I come to the US on a K1 visa then I got married and applied for change of states and work authorization. After a few months things did not work very well .So my ex-wife left me. After that she sent to the Immigration lying about our marriage and she canceled my change of states. A year later I meet my wife and we have been together for over 10 years without any changes in my legal states. I thought many times of changing of my status but the 10 years bar is what holds me from doing so. A family member just told me that I should be eligible for TPS since I am from Syria. In last 10 years I never broke the law and never did anything illegal. Do you think I am eligible for TPS? How long would it take adjust status. And if I get approved for TPS can I apply for change of states since I will become lawful residence? Thanks for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore
Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You do not seem to have a 10 year bar issue and with the assistance of an experience immigration attorney, you should be able to adjust your status.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.