Chandler, AZ asked in Construction Law for Arizona

Q: Employer did not pay wages and landlord closed the doors of building. Can I still file for past wages due?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Although you are entitled to wages due, there are a number of reasons why you may not be able to collect. Some of the important factors to consider are whether the employer went bankrupt, the employer's entity type such as corporation or partnership, and the payday law in your state. You should speak with an attorney in your area to fully explore all your options. At the very least, contact the Department of Labor, which enforces the Fair Labor Standards Act. The Fair Labor Standards Act prohibits an employer from permitting or requiring free work.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.