Vallejo, CA asked in Juvenile Law for California

Q: 12 month review coming for cps case. Have 2 kids under age of 3 part of sibling group. Have completed case plan

Sw wants to go another 6 months because of my partners inconsistent boundary setting. Is this sufficient to extend to 18 months

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Brooks
David A. Brooks
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Fair Oaks, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Social workers have a lot of pull when it comes to when to terminate the court's jurisdiction or when to proceed to a .26 (Permanency) Hearing. What a judge's threshold to extend jurisdiction might be is best asked of an attorney who works in that particular court. The answer also depends on whether the "partner" is a parent outside the home or is someone who lives with you. The court would have an easier decision if it could reunify with you and keep the partner in counseling without having to reunify with the partner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.