Columbus, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: Do parents with joint custody have the right to keep children away from exspouse significant others (boyfriend/girlfrien

I am dating a man who has been divorced for 7 years. He really hasn't dated anyone significantly until now. His children are 20 and 14. The mother is making demands on not allowing the children around me "for a year..that's what most counselors say" and if I have been, she withholds time with their father, takes the 20 year olds money away at college and threatens to discontinue tuiton, based on them claiming they "like me." Is this legal? What can the father do? She threatens the kids when they are with their dad and makes horrible comments about him. She has accosted me and texts me horrible things.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Scott Heier Esq
David Scott Heier Esq
  • Canandaigua, NY
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If an x-spouse cannot be reasoned with, then being in a relationship with the other spouse will be challenging. There is no magic legal document that will fix this. An x-spouse has a legal right to be mean, despiteful, vengeful, demanding, and controlling. BUT, an x-spouse cannot legally dictate how the other lives their life. An ex does not have legal veto power over what girlfriend or boyfriend the other can see.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.