Citrus Heights, CA asked in Juvenile Law for California

Q: What needs to be done for my 16 year-old niece to move in with her grandfather?

My niece has, to say the least, a crappy home life. She already moved out once before with friends (which did not go well) and is currently back living with her mother. She has asked to come live with me and my father (her grandfather). I believe her mother is ok with her moving in with us (we have only had a few conversations about the possibility), and I know her father is (the parents are divorced). Assuming both parents agree to the arrangement, what do we have to do legally before she moves in? Will we face issues enrolling her in school? And if her mother is not ok with the arrangement, what can be done? What can we/my niece do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Brooks
David A. Brooks
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Fair Oaks, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Assuming everyone agrees, you don't have to do anything. You would probably want to hold educational and medical rights, though. You would probably want to become legal guardian. Adoption would first require termination of mom's parental rights. She is getting old enough, emancipation might also be something to consider.

If she doesn't agree, Guardianship is still a possibility. If the child is at risk you could notify CPS and try to get placement pending a possible future reunification with mom.

So, there are many options and these have significant advantages and disadvantages. You need to consult with an attorney so you can get all the details and make some informed choices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.