Wilmington, DE asked in Child Support for Delaware

Q: If someone is earning only 25, 000 a year and is 1,300 a month in child support. Can their payments reduced ?

To help them be able to afford their own bills even they live in Delaware and they pay child support in Virginia?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
  • Wilmington, DE
  • Licensed in Delaware

A: Based on the way you asked the question, it appears that the parent paying child support lives in Delaware, and the child lives in Virginia. In Delaware, the court applies a formula for determining whether to modify child support. If it was a Virginia court that ordered child support and the amount, then it would be that court which will decide whether it can be reduced. In Virginia, child support can be modified based on a change in circumstances. I recommend that you contact a Virgina attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.