Spokane, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: I was sentenced to EHM but I now have no place to do it. What do I do to take the jail time that was offered in court.

I have not started the EHM program yet so I have not violated yet and I don't want to.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Nelson Jolly
David Nelson Jolly
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mount Vernon, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If you are unable to perform electronic home monitoring the Jail and Court will understand … however, you must be careful that the conversion for EHM isn’t treated equally with jail. In other words, if you were sentenced to 30 days of EHM this should equal 2 days of jail based on the tried and true 1 day of jail equals 15 days of EHM. I would visit the Jail and see if they would convert for you but also check with the Court. If in doubt, you can bring a motion in the court where you were sentenced and request a Judge make it clear that you can serve jail in lieu of EHM but at the conversion mentioned earlier – I would recommended you go back to court and have this clarified. In such a case, retain an attorney to help you.

Law Firm of David N. Jolly


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.