Mechanicsburg, PA asked in Internet Law for Pennsylvania

Q: If I have been defrauded by a website from London, England do I have any recourse to get my monies back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: How do you know the website is in London, England? It could be anywhere in the world and making it look like Lon don, England.

In theory, yes, you might be able to recover your money, but in practical terms, the answer is you probably will not.

If the criminal is in a foreign country, it will be very difficult to find the person and the US government is not likely to help too much. You post no details of the crime, but these financial crimes come of Africa or other foreign countries. The criminals take the money and then move on. They are hard to trace and find.

And the amount of money involved does not make it viable to pursue them. How much did you lose? Hundreds? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

Try filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)

If the person really is in the US then criminal charges can be brought against them and restitution ordered as part of sentencing or you will be able to sue them civilly.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.