Milwaukee, WI asked in Divorce for Connecticut

Q: is there a process to amend a divorce when the ex spouse has people living in the former residence paying rent

My former spouse lives in Ct and has the house but as ive read under CT divorce law is a violation. Currently im paying 2000 a month to her and she receives rent from boarder there as well as my son and his girl friend. I was wondering is there a way to have a Amendment to the degree so that i can reduce the amount i pay so that i can afford to live?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein
Jerome N. Goldstein
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: A motion for modification is used to request a change in a divorce decree when there are substantial changes in circumstances from when the last orders were put into effect. What you describe may not by a substantial change if the boarder is truly a boarder. You also do not state what the $2000 is going to, support or alimony, or whether the decree has any language not allowing amendments. You should take your divorce decree to a Connecticut divorce attorney for a consultation and proper advise. A full detailed answer is not otherwise possible here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.