Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: I have been divorced for 10 yrs and in the divorce agreement my ex husband is to pay me $16,900 upon my daughters high

my daughter graduated in June,2018 and now I need to receive this court ordered amount but my ex is refusing. What are my options?

Ashling Soares
Ashling Soares answered on Oct 9, 2018

You may file a post-judgment motion for contempt. You should consider hiring an experienced family law attorney to file the motion on your behalf and represent you in court.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: Hi.Do I have to reimburse my live-in boyfriend for money he invested in my home's renovations after we separate?

We both contributed money to the renovation of my home. My boyfriend, I believe, is legally considered a tenant. He pays me rent every month and I pay for everything else. We are separating and he wants me to compensate him for the money that he contributed to the renovations. 1.) Do I have to... Read more »

Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale answered on Jul 12, 2017

You need to consult with an attorney on this. You have too many specific questions to get a legal answer online. Attorneys will not feel comfortable providing answers that you may follow through with without getting the full facts and circumstances. This can turn into a complicated situation so my... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: My divorce in CT stated that I fully own my house in Colombia, my ex-husband won't sign the sale unless compensated

I currently reside in FL, how do I obtain a document stating that he is not willing to sign so I will be able to sale the house in order for me and my child purchase a home in FL?? Thank you

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 25, 2017

You can ask the Connecticut court to compel him to sign the Colombian sale documents, but proof that he refuses to sign isn't likely to aid you in purchasing a home in Florida. Instead, you probably need the sale proceeds.

4 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Car Accidents for Connecticut on
Q: Is there any lawyer in Waterbury that do not ask for upfront fee, and get paid once case is settled?
Max Lavit Rosenberg
Max Lavit Rosenberg answered on May 4, 2017

For a car accident - Absolutely. For a family case - Never, never, never.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: Alimony Agreement is unmodifiable but have a substantial income decline. What can I do?

Agreement is unambiguous: non-modifiable as to term and amount. Had an approximate 50% decline in income due to a number of factors. Do I have any recourse?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 29, 2015

The agreement recites that the court-ordered alimony cannot be modified? I don't think this would stand up if the court is persuaded that conditions have changed.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: is there a process to amend a divorce when the ex spouse has people living in the former residence paying rent

My former spouse lives in Ct and has the house but as ive read under CT divorce law is a violation. Currently im paying 2000 a month to her and she receives rent from boarder there as well as my son and his girl friend. I was wondering is there a way to have a Amendment to the degree so that i can... Read more »

Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq. answered on Oct 29, 2015

A motion for modification is used to request a change in a divorce decree when there are substantial changes in circumstances from when the last orders were put into effect. What you describe may not by a substantial change if the boarder is truly a boarder. You also do not state what the $2000... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: Can you put your divorce on hold or withdraw your complaint in the state of ct
Joseph Bronson Barnes Esq
Joseph Bronson Barnes Esq answered on Nov 25, 2013

Withdraw: yes, on Hold: only by motion to the court for an attempt at reconciliation for instance. If your spouse filed an answer and counter-complaint, he/she, could proceed on that even if you withdraw.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: Do I have to provide Heath insurance for my wife if we divorce
Joseph Bronson Barnes Esq
Joseph Bronson Barnes Esq answered on Nov 25, 2013

NO. In fact you CANNOT keep her on your policy under insurance law.

You do have to offer COBRA through your employer if she is currently insured under your policy (then She pays)

AND, if the court decides, you may have to pay alimony which could go to help pay for her insurance

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.