Asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: Mom died at when I was 10yrs, met dad at 21yrs for first time, can I file for back child support?

My mom was murder here in Texas when I was 10. My father came in to my life at the age of 21yrs old, can I file back child support that my mother once try to file against him but she did not have any information on him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein
  • Marble Falls, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No. The child support was for your mother to support you. Plus, you are now over the age of 18. I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. Whoever raised you had the right to ask for child support from him. I can only assume that no one ever talked to an attorney. Pity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.