Asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I get sole custody of my twins?

My twins have lived with me since I split with there father. They were 3. They are now 11 and the father never sees them. His parents always get them for his visitation. Which to me seems unfair due to the time is suppose to be with him. If he doesn't call me stating the are going to pick him up do I have to let them leave? They do not have my children do any type of homework. Read during the summer and on the weekends they have them during school when it is apart of there homework. I have asked them to help me with this considering they almost failed the 4th grade. There education is really important to me. But if they won't help with that and help me teach them responsibility do I have to let them go with the grandparents? Also they always come back after just two days disrespecting me when they know that's not how my household is. Pls help. Tired of grandparents trying to take control.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein
  • Marble Falls, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas it is presumed that it will be Joint Custody. What is important are the rights and duties that each parent receives. I assume that you want to have the right to establish the children's primary residence and select their school.

I cannot tell if there are court orders in place. Normally dad can designate who picks up the children. I assume that you want to eliminate his parents in order to end their visits.

You desperately need to talk to a family law attorney in your county. You have let this go on for far too long.

Without looking at your court orders and discussing the case in more depth with you, I cannot give you more advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.