Coldspring, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: My ex and I live in texas and we have joint custody or our son,can he move to california and still have the same rights?

My ex husband just informed me that he is moving to California , can he move and not see his son for months and just on holidays? Does he have the same rights as in TEXAS ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein
  • Marble Falls, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you and the child remain in Texas then the Texas orders control. You might need to sit down and meet with a family law attorney to understand the new changes with his long distance move. The child can skype or facetime the dad in order to keep in touch. Of course, you need to determine the travel arrangements since many airlines won't let a small child fly without an adult - airline policy. You might need to modify your current court order. Mediation is definitely an option to save time and money. You cannot force a father to be a hand's on dad. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.