Kent, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: Ifyour probation says you can't drink or do drugs, but your probation is over, can you continue to do so?

It was a domestic violence case and he still has one more court date until the case is completely closed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Nelson Jolly
David Nelson Jolly
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mount Vernon, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Probation has incredible powers so while you are probation, of any kind, do what they say and stay out of criminal trouble. It is also important to understand if you are actually on probation or not. Many confuse “inactive” (or unsupervised) probation as not probation, but it is. Most misdemeanor offenses in Washington have 2 years of probation while Washington DUI convictions (or deferred prosecution) have 5 years of probation.

In this case if there is one more court date it is strongly advised he remain compliant and not drink until probation ends and the case is closed.

Law Firm of David N. Jolly

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.