Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota

Q: Didn't complete DUI program in Cali. Moved to North Dakota was issued new DL. DUI was in 08. Will there be any problems

Won't be moving back. Only did 15 months of a 18 month program. I explained everything to North Dakota an they said I would be giving that they only go back 3yrs. Just got a letter from Cali. Saying my dl from there would be suspended but I surrendered that one before I got my new one.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Nelson Jolly
David Nelson Jolly
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Mount Vernon, WA

A: Your DUI charge and possible conviction obviously ended with the requirement of you completing a recommended course of alcohol treatment. The Court typically monitors such treatment and if not completed can impose further sanctions, such as jail. The DMV/DOL has similar powers and if treatment is not completed can suspend your driver’s license.

In your case the California DMV does have the power to suspend your ability to drive in that state. However, there is an “Interstate Driver License Compact” that enables States to share information. In your specific instance North Dakota is a member of this compact and will give full and faith and credit to California – in other words, if your license is suspended in California it will end up being suspended in North Dakota eventually. Don’t risk it. Try and complete the program or call a local DUI defense attorney for assistance.

Law Firm of David N. Jolly

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.