North Dakota Questions & Answers by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Broker Fraud
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

North Dakota Questions & Answers

Q: 1 year ago I got a misdemeanor for marijuana. Is it possible to get it expunged? I have never had a record.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 14, 2017

North Dakota does not have an expungement process. However, if you received a deferred imposition of sentence and successfully completed probation your plea can be withdrawn, the case dismissed, and the file sealed.
View Details »

Q: What does Tx mean in a plea deal

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 14, 2017

It most likely means treatment such as alcohol or drug treatment.
View Details »

Q: Does having a will instead of going through probate make a difference in your estate taxes?

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 10, 2017

short answer: no

(And don't believe the 'one trick ponies who try to scare people about probate!)

Longer answer, a will does not avoid 'going through probate'. But sometimes you WANT to

have your estate go through probate!

If "avoiding probate" is your primary goal rather than taking care of your needs and

distributing things to your family the way YOU want then you are letting the tail wag the


You should see a QUALIFIED licensed...
View Details »

Q: Dad died 15 months ago in ND and step mom died this month. no children together. Next of kin is? Her mom is alive but 90

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Collections and Probate for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017

Your question is missing some important information, feel free to contact me via email so I can better answer it. But generally, you should have some interest in your father's estate, though it sounds like there is not much in it. If so, then the "spousal share" may eat up all of the estate. The spousal share is what your stepmother gets from your dad's estate. Nevertheless, it is possible that you are entitled to what is in your father's estate. If your stepmother is the personal...
View Details »

Q: My mom and dad owned farm land and my dad passed away August 4, 2015. During my dad's probate we had the land appraised.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for North Dakota on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017

The obligation of the personal representative of the estate is to determine the fair market value. There is no state requirement for an appraisal. I think that you can feel free to use the appraised value on September 9 to determine fair market value on September 15.
View Details »

Q: After mediation fails on a personal injury claim, can I, the Plantiff refuse to settle and force it to court?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for North Dakota on
Answered on Jan 2, 2017

You should contact a member of the Trial Lawyers Assn for the state where it happened, ideally in the county where it happened. You are in a complex case situation and need a free consult at least.
View Details »

Q: I plead guilty to charges due to drug court acceptance and was never really accepted. What happens from here?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Sep 18, 2016

Ask your attorney whether you can withdraw your guilty plea if you were not accepted into drug court.
View Details »

Q: I sold a vehicle "as is"

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Contracts for North Dakota on
Answered on Aug 11, 2016

Assuming that he's not complaining of something you knew about but didn't tell him about --e.g. you knew it needed a new tranny but didn't tell him--then you should be OK. "As Is " protects seller from buyers remorse. It isn't a free pass to sit on

information you knew abouit.
View Details »

Q: Can i leave home at 17 when im pregnant?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for North Dakota on
Answered on Nov 4, 2015

With your parents' permission, yes.

Q: Can I press charges against a 19 year old boy for having sex with my 14 year old daughter in north dakota?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Nov 1, 2015

Report it to the police? Did that occur to you? That is just common sense to me. If you believe a crime has been committed, report it to the police and they will investigate it. Technically, it is the prosecutor who actually presses the charges.

Q: Looking for information concerning sentencing

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Oct 30, 2015

I guess the best thing to do is to talk with a local criminal defense attorney who has known the judge for many years.

Q: What was Lewis's first name in the case Lewis v. U.S., the case of 1980?

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Oct 20, 2015

Is this a homework assignment? Find the case and answer your own question.

Q: Can I file a restraining order against a man to whom I am not related? I live in Dickinson, ND.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Oct 11, 2015

You have to see a local attorney for a complete discussion about this.

Q: Does a ND attorney have to appear in front of a judge to file a motion for a percentage bond?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Oct 7, 2015

Um, that is how it works, you hire an attorney for a case, and the attorney does what is necessary in representing you. That would include filing a motion for bond, if necessary, and setting a hearing.

Q: How can a musician retaliate against a breach of contract?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for North Dakota on
Answered on Oct 5, 2015

Before you do that, have a full discussion with a local attorney about this.

Q: For California residency,do 2 years that I was on F-1 visa in California prior to this semester count as year and 1 day?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Sep 28, 2015

This is not exactly a immigration question, the best people to ask this question would be the people at the DMV. Call the DMV customer care and clear your doubts with them because eventually you will be applying for your ID at the DMV. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts...

Q: what should my son plead in his case which he is charged with drug paraphenalia?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Sep 19, 2015

He needs to talk to the attorney who was appointed to represent him.

Q: What is the current law in north dakota on tender years ????

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for North Dakota on
Answered on Sep 12, 2015

Do an internet search for "tender years doctrine in North Dakota". I believe it has been abolished.

Q: I was questioned by police while getting gas then asked for licence and search for no reason? how is that legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Answered on Sep 8, 2015

You say that there was no reason, but I will bet that the cop will say something totally different. Hire a criminal defense attorney if you were charged with a crime. The attorney will learn all the facts, not just your position, but the cop's position as well, and represent you accordingly. Anyone who is charged with any crime needs to get an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.