San Lorenzo, CA asked in Collections for California

Q: If someone owes me 100,000$, and they own a million dollar home, can a judge make them sell their house to pay me?

A woman owes me 100,000$ (i have a contract that she signed). I want to know how i can make her sell her house so that she can pay me. I also want to know how i can get a lawer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Beckerman
Ray Beckerman

A: Laws for these type of procedures vary from state to state, but probably you would have to sue the person for the money, and get a judgment. Then, once you have a judgment, you can go about enforcing the judgment, which would include levying on nonexempt assets of the judgment debtor. You can find a lawyer through the county bar association, or if you would like a referral from me, give me information about the specific location of yourself, the person who owes you the money, and the real estate in question, and I will try to find you someone good in that area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.