Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Collections for California on
Q: I'm being asked to give acknowledgement of satisfaction form by escrow firm before getting paid on my lien against condo

Escrow firm says I need to give them acknowledgement of satisfaction form before they pay me on my lien. Doesn't make sense to me to give them a form saying I got paid when I haven't. The person who owes me the money has sent me a check that would satisfy the lien but the escrow firm... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 19, 2020

Pretty standard for an Escrow Company to get documents signed before the deal closes. If you really feel uncomfortable, tell them you want a face to face exchange of your signature for their check. The problem is that the money may not be in the Escrow account until it closes, not now.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Would a lien on my brother's inheritance prevent it from being counted as income or asset by SSI and Medicaid?

I'm executor of my father's estate. The funds will be divided among 6 siblings, about $6000 each. One brother is on SSI, SSDI, and Medicaid, in Vermont. If he inherits $6000, he is in danger of losing his Medicaid until he spends $4000. Losing his Medicaid could cost him a lot more than... Read more »

Sally Bergman
Sally Bergman answered on Sep 14, 2020

This is a question that needs to be answered by an attorney licensed in Vermont and familiar with its Medicaid rules and regulations as every state is different. There are likely ways he can spend that amount of money down without interrupting his SSI/MEDICAID benefits and/or can create an ABLE... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for California on
Q: I have a debtor trying to collect on a bill that was mine through my ex. It was from 2013 can you tell me the statute
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 5, 2020

4 years on a written contract. If there was a judgment, it is good for 10 years. This could be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You should consult with a Collections Attorney in your area.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Collections for California on
Q: In relation to a car note

I made a payment a few days late (about 3 days)

And wasn't aware a late fee was applied so after making the standard payment I was hit with a 30 day late payment Even though I only didn't pay the late fee

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Aug 25, 2020

This is not banking, it is Contracts. Contact your bank, see what you can work out. Get out your loan documents and read them carefully, maybe the bank made a mistake. It happens. Negotiate with them to get some relief.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

3 Answers | Asked in Collections for California on
Q: I've been served with a judgement against me. other party states I was served 6/12/12 in San Jose I lived in Stockton.

I was living in Stockton at that time and was never served. Just got the judgement through the mail 6/29/20. Judgement is for 16k original balance 8 years ago 8k. Other party will not take less than 10k

Gregory Mark Fitzgerald
Gregory Mark Fitzgerald answered on Aug 3, 2020

Your options are to file a Motion to Vacate the Judgment, settle it, or file bankruptcy (if available and desired). A lot more information is needed in order to properly assess the merits of any Motion to vacate.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Collections, Contracts and Small Claims for California on
Q: I have a decently sized default judgement from a UD in Ca. Are there companies or attorneys who can help collect?

I have the UD, Writ of Execution (from 2013) and have tried to serve 2-3 banks years ago to see if this individual had money with those banks with no luck. Its been several years now and this POS has written another book (hes a complete fraud) but it looks like he has been making money. I think I... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 23, 2020

It sounds like you have some knowledge about how this process works. You are entitled to a judgment debtor exam, for which the most important part is the subpoena for his documents, all bank records, credit card records, any bills he has, records of ownership of any personal property worth more... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for California on
Q: I have received an email requesting I pay or they will send me to court, I have never received any legitimate info

I have received this email and I want to know if it is legitimate, I emailed asking what it was in regards to and they sent an email with minimal information and told me to pay a certain amount of money to close it. They could not tell me when where or how they got my information, but that they... Read more »

Daniel Timothy LeBel
Daniel Timothy LeBel answered on Jul 2, 2020

Your suspicion seems justified. This has the earmarks of a phishing scam. Since you haven't lost any money it is unlikely your local police department will get involved.

You should report it to the FTC. To do so, forward the message to the Anti-Phishing Working Group at

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for California on
Q: I have a judgement against me from capital one and it shows that it's vacated . What can I do



03/02/2020 WRIT FEE OF $40.00 PAID Not Applicable

03/02/2020 WRIT OF EXECUTION ISSUED TO SAN... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 26, 2020

The entries you quoted above do not show that the Judgement was vacated. They show that a writ of execution may have been issued to the County. Need more information.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Small Claims for California on
Q: Does the plaintiff have to provide copies of receipts, emails, etc to the defendant prior to the court date?

This is a small claim court case related to a training we provided to an entity's personnel. They agreed via email to the terms and conditions. We provided the training and have proof of the service being provided. The other party never paid and never disputed. They just didn't pay even... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 17, 2020

Short Answer, NO. Small claims is meant to be an expedited trial situation for cases of a smaller value (used to be $2500, now up to $10,000). There is no "discovery" in Small claims, but other forms of compelling the production of witnesses and evidence, such as the subpoena power of... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Collections for California on
Q: I'm an independent contractor massage therapist. The spa owner is 2 months behind with payment. How do I get paid?

The spa owner said she would pay what is owing when her divorce settles, and money is released from an escrow account. I've been waiting for about 2 years. The spa owner claims not to have the money when I've asked repeatedly to be paid. I need options to compel the owner to pay what is owed.

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on May 20, 2020

If you are truly an independent contractor, then the only way to force payment is to file a lawsuit, get a judgment, and collect that judgment. That will not be quick, easy or cheap. Short of that, negotiation is your only other option.

If you have been misclassified as an independent...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for California on
Q: I was sent to collections for a debt I don't owe. I have not received a response and wanted to know what else I can do

The company did not return calls for me to try to dispute this debt. I have email correspondence from the company saying the debt was in error and that it would be removed from my account. When I reach out to the collection agency, they tell me they have not received a response from the company... Read more »

Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels answered on May 5, 2020

Wait until the collection agency HAS received the response from the company. If the collection agency has not received that response in a reasonable time, WRITE to the company with a certified letter stating the problem.

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections and Probate for California on
Q: Is the surviving spouse liable for the deceased spouse's credit card debt if only in the deceased's name?

If credit card debt was taken out by the deceased spouse in their name only and without the surviving spouse's knowledge, what rights does the surviving spouse have? Are they still liable for the debt? There is no will or estate.

John B. Palley
John B. Palley answered on Apr 29, 2020

That's tough to answer as there are many variables and ways it could go. A general rule in probate is that a person (spouse or otherwise) is liable for debts (even if they didn't know about it) to the extent they received assets from the decedent. So if the spouse received money/assets... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Collections and Employment Discrimination for California on
Q: Can I get sued for $1200

I worked for a company doing landscaping and now my ex employer is threatening me with filing a claim he led me on believing I was going to be paid and ended up telling me he’s not going to what can I do in this situation? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Mar 9, 2020

It is a common tactic for an employer to attempt to scare the employee from making a legitimate claim for wages owed or other money by threatening to sue the employee. Now if you borrowed money from the employer, or maliciously caused damages to employer property, there might be a legitimate... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: I acquired a California home by Sheriff Sale (collecting on a money judgment). The judgment stated "Said judgment...

shall have priority over any interest affecting title to the specific real property located in San Bernardino County, California, recorded after March 17, 2005 and is described as follows..."

There were other liens on the property from March 17, 2005 to the date of the Sheriff Sale Jan... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Mar 5, 2020

Your question shows why it is necessary to retain the services of a good lawyer. The practice of law requires a lawyer to examine the language of the statutes, and those related to the one in issue, and determine what your rights may be. This is the essence of the practice of law. I seriously doubt... Read more »

Q: Do i have to pay $180 charge for a toilet snake my Apt's Maintenance charged me for a toilet paper tube accidently flush

Toilet seat sits 1ft from the dispenser - toilet paper tube accidently fell into toilet when pulling off empty roll and subsequently got flushed. Caused slow flush to happen but not a full clog.

Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez answered on Feb 26, 2020

If I were you, I would go ahead and pay it with a thank you note to the management. The last time I had a snake job done in my house cost me $1,200.00 and until today, have problems with the pipes. Best of luck!

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Hi, I do have eviction on my record. it's from last year. my previous land lord's lawyer keeps calling me to collect mo

LIVE IN CA, I do have eviction on my record. it's from last year. my previous land lord's lawyer keeps calling me to collect money. i can't make a peyment now. would they send it to a collection agency or suing me in court. if any of those happen could i still settle a payment with... Read more »

Harlene Miller
Harlene Miller answered on Feb 17, 2020

Whether or not you can negotiate payments with a creditor really depends upon the creditor's willingness to do so. Calling and telling them you have no money isn't going to resolve anything. I understand they evicted you but did they also sue you for the balance due to the landlord?... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for California on
Q: Convicted of a crime I did not commit, I do have prison priors, +I'm on bail now. What should I do?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 17, 2020


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for California on
Q: I am looking for legal help in dealing with a defendant from which I collected a judgement a few years ago.

The defendant is harassing me to file an EJ-100 (in Alameda, CA) which she was not entitled to as she still owed about $1000. I decided to file the EJ-100 (but did not notarize the form) is it wasn't worth trying to collect the debt. Do I need a notarized version? She is demanding that I... Read more »

Joseph Franklin Klatt
Joseph Franklin Klatt answered on Feb 15, 2020

On number one, the ship has probably sailed on that. you don't generally get do overs in Court. If you do it wrong the first time, you have to live with the consequences. An appeal can be possible, but only if the Court erred, not if you did. As for the rest, follow the Court order. I... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections, Consumer Law and Small Claims for California on
Q: Could a debt collector try to collect on debt that is 8yrs and that was included in a bankcruy?
Donald M Barker
Donald M Barker answered on Feb 12, 2020

He can "Try" all day long. However, due to the BK and most likely the Statute of Limitations on collecting original debt, he has no legal standing to collect via judicial proceedings.

Send him a "writing," instructing him not to contact you again, and he must stop, by law.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Rights, Collections and Domestic Violence for California on
Q: We had listed on the form when we fill out that fees be paid by the respondent. The attorney was hired after and we told

We told the attorney but during the trial he told the judge that we want 5 years and we thought once that is granted what we stated on the application for restraining order will be granted. It was after that the attorney reported that only 5 years was granted and nothing else by the judge. Could we... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jan 28, 2020

more info needed.

your missive is confusing.

the person to ask re the other side paying your legal fees would be your lawyer who has all of the info in front of him/her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.