Cincinnati, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I was charged with drug abuse for picking up a pot pipe that was not mine. 4 years ago. I cant get a job. How can I get

this expunged? It was a pay out ticket. I paid it but did not sign it because it read that if I signed it I would be admitting guilt.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Michael Johnson
David Michael Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It appears that you were convicted of drug paraphernalia, a 4th degree misdemeanor. You must wait at least 1 year to expunge your record and not commit any further criminal acts. The process for having your criminal record expunged by obtaining a final order of conviction from the clerk of courts begins by obtaining a certified copy of the Judgment Order of Conviction. They should be able to give you a certified copy for a small fee. Make sure you have the case number. Fill out the two forms they will send you ("Application for Sealing of a Criminal Record" and "Judgment Entry for Sealing"). Make 3 copies of these forms, have about $50 on hand, and give the copies to the clerk of courts. The court will set a hearing date and be prepared to show up to court and tell the judge your story. The judge has the discretion as to whether your application will be granted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.