Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Im on a tourist visa. I married my US citizen boyfriend here in Texas. Can I stay and have change of Status.

My visa will expire next month October 27, 2014

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Congratulations on your marriage! You are able to adjust your status from that of a tourist to to that of a lawful permanent resident (LPR) based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen. In fact, your legal entry into the United States would excuse any unlawful presence or unlawful employment in this country, if your U.S. citizen spouse petitions for you to become an LPR. Of course, your eligibility to adjust status to that of LPR assumes that there are no other adverse or disqualifying factors present in your case. You would be well advised to consult with a licensed attorney who specializes in immigration and nationality law to help you and your husband present the best possible case. Good luck to you both!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.