Austin, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: Can someone explain the court process for establishing paternity?

The TX AG served papers on mom & bio father. Both were asked to file an answer & father was also provided a request for production of documents. Confused why the hearing would be set BEFORE discovery is due? Do these things typically require multiple hearings? Do parents typically get time with the judge to raise concerns or is it best to do this in the answer? I don't know what the court process is like -- I've imagined something like a mediation where all parties have a chance to speak, but wondering now if we will go to court and the judge will just make a decision based on the answers submitted by the parents and without hearing from both parents at the actual hearing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein
  • Marble Falls, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It appears you are in TX A G court. Most are handled very quickly. They establish child support. Their paperwork regarding visitation cannot be modified. I don't like their paperwork. I highly recommend that you hire an attorney to assist you or perhaps move the case away from TX A G court. TX A G does a form of mediation that is unique to them. They really don't care about what you have to say - they don't have time - they only want to set up child support. If mom alleges that you are "abusive" then you won't get her address and visitation might be through supervised visits. Please hire an attorney. You don't have to sign the papers even when they threaten you. But if it's trial, judge does not care if you show up or not or if you don't sign - only Judge's signature is the only one required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.