Columbus, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: my sons girlfriend moved his children out of state and denys him visitation. can she do this legally?

he is father on birth certificate, but never married!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: There are some unknowns here so lets do it this way. Is paternity established? That's step one. Being on the birth certificate probably takes care of this if done properly. If there is paternity established, does your son have a a court order for visitation? If yes, then she is in contempt. If not, he has a bigger problem. If there is no parenting time order, she automatically has custody and does not have to let him see the child. Best thing to do is for him is to have a consultation with an attorney. Some attorneys provide a free consultation. He should move quickly before jurisdiction in Ohio is lost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.