Miami, FL asked in Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: Received criminal citation in Maryland for accidentally having weapon in carry on luggage. Wondering about next steps?

I specifically am interested in the time frame for establishing a court date. I received the citation on Dec. 19 but won't be returning to MD until Jan. 9. The officer that gave it to me couldn't tell me an exact time frame when I can expect a court date to be set and I'm wondering if I'm at any risk of missing the date? Besides that, I have the usual questions of, how likely is this to continue on to instead of being dropped and whether I should be looking into getting a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jobeth Rocky Bowers
Jobeth Rocky Bowers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Elkton, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If the court has your current address, you should receive notice of the charges.

Depending on exactly what you've been charged with, you likely want to hire an attorney to defend you with this case. There are often subtle nuances with these laws, the searches, etc that may have the case resolved in your favor in ways that you would otherwise be unaware of or unable to present appropriately to the court.

An attorney would also be able to assist in an effort to have court dates rescheduled based on conflicts if you are out of state and need such adjustments, although that ability is not guaranteed, it is easier to do through counsel than on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.