Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Scott Scherr
1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland on
Q: Should I pay this ticket or fight it?

I recently received a Red light ticket while proceeding to complete a U-turn. As I crossed the line during the yellow arrow, the light quickly turned red and I was flashed. I was already in the process and in the middle of the street. I was driving my aunt's vehicle at the time and I... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 19, 2021

If this was a camera ticket, you can just pay the $75.00 for the ticket. No points are assessed for camera tickets.

If you wish to fight the ticket, then your aunt would either need to go to court or call a number on the ticket and tell them you were the driver and she was not. They should...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland on
Q: Is there a way to plead not guilty if officer saw me spinning wheels i havent recieved a ticker for 14 months

i havent received a ticker for over 14 months im at 7 points right now with this i think i will be at 8 and that will be a suspension i believe in maryland i am also a state inspector and will lose my job

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 14, 2021

I think you are indicating that you received a ticket for spinning wheels and that your last ticket was 14 months ago before that one. You should request a trial and not a waiver hearing within 30 days. If the police officer does not appear, you will be acquitted. If the police officer appears and... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland on
Q: What should I do for my speeding ticket?

My car was recently totaled in an automotive accident. I received a speeding ticket a while back. Another car was speeding over 100MPH but the way my car looks (show car for car meets) I got singled out and pulled over. I requested a trial/hearing to contest the ticket and I received my... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 12, 2021

You still need to go to court. This is a 5 point ticket and paying it will affect your insurance if you get another vehicle and could lead to a suspension of your license depending on your driving record. If the police officer does not appear and you requested a trial, you will be acquitted.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: I keep getting a call from what seems like a layers office. They are saying that I owe around $1,300.00 from 2016

They say it is from a payday loan but they won't tell me the name of the company. I did owe a couple of companies but I am sure I paid them off. When I ask they name of the company they just say cash store. I have no way to know if this is legit or a scam. They keep threatening with taking me... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 10, 2021

There are so many scams out there concerning these "payday" loans. Tell them to only contact you in writing and demand proof of the debt. I bet you never hear from them.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Maryland on
Q: Is Double Jeopardy in the workplace real ?
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 9, 2021

Double jeopardy only applies in criminal cases. It prevents a defendant in a criminal case from being tried twice for the same crime. There are requirements in order for jeopardy to attach.

Double jeopardy does not apply in civil cases including employment cases. If you have an employment...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Maryland on
Q: If I am federally indicted while on parole/probation, will violate the parole/probation?

I was under the impression that if I am indicted or found guilty of federal charges, it will not violate the state probation.

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 7, 2021

If you were on parole or probation for a state crime and you are charged with committing a new federal crime that took place while on parole or probation, this can be a parole or probation violation. It makes no difference that it is a federal crime.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for Maryland on
Q: Hello I was recently arrested on a bench warrant for a failure to appear for a court case. My fiancee and myself

were codefendents. The officers claim they happen to see my wife at a convenience store and issued a car stop and arrested her for the warrant. The store is the opposite way of the precinct and they proceeded to drive to my house to serve the bench warrant for me. They took my fiancee back to our... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 5, 2021

You should retain an attorney to represent you in connection the charges. If you cannot afford private counsel, contact the Public Defender. Your attorney can discuss any possible defenses to the underlying charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: are 2 year gym contracts legal in reston virgina
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 3, 2021

You should repost your question to Virginia lawyers since the contract was in Virginia. This was posted to Maryland attorneys.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Maryland on
Q: I received a tax lien notification from North Carolina for 2013 In 2021?

I didn’t live in NC during that tax period

I never received notification that taxes were owed

I’ve always completed an official change of address

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 1, 2021

You should consult with an attorney in North Carolina since that is where the tax lien was reported. They can help you straighten it out in North Carolina.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Maryland on
Q: what will happen with a sexting scam

met a girl on dating site father demands money

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Feb 25, 2021

This a scam. We see this question once or twice a week. Block the person from your phone and ignore them.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.