Grafton, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I have a agv. assault and child endangering from 24 years ago can I have it taken off my record?

I was 23 years old. in Medina, Ohio.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

David Michael Johnson

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You may want to look into sealing your record. A person can be eligible to seal their record provided they have not more than 1 felony, 1 felony and 1 misdemeanor, or 2 misdemeanors. If the aggravated assault carried a mandatory prison term, or if the child endangering was a felony, you will not be eligible to seal your record. If the child endangering charge was a misdemeanor, you may be eligible to seal your record. You will want to contact an attorney and discuss this with them.

Matthew Williams

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Aggravated assault is an F4 offense of violence, which not eligible for sealing. (See subsection (C)) Similarly, endangering children, which is typically either a felony or a first degree misdemeanor, is not an eligible offense as you cannot seal an first degree misdemeanor or felony, if the victim was under the age of 18 except felony nonsupport. ( subsection (F)). Your only option is a long-shot application for a pardon or some work or licensing relief with a CQE.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.