Dallas, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: If my father died w/o a valid will, can my sister be declared the administrator because she applied for the application

and can she sell the house w/o my approval or knowledge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy Hui
Nancy Hui
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Pearland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the court finds that she is appropriate to be the administrator then yes, she can be appointed as such. However, if there is reason that she should not be appointed, you need to file an objection so the court will know. Once she is appointed as an administrator, she may begin administration of the estate. One of the tasks include selling the assets (eg a house) and distributing to the heirs. She is not required to inform you or get your permission to sell a house. There are many other possibilities that may slightly chance my answer depending on who has title to the house, debts owed by the deceased and family situation. You would be served better if you discuss your case with a probate attorney, especially if you are concerned your sister being appointed as an administrator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.