Tampa, FL asked in Probate for Texas

Q: my dad died and I don't know if he had a will or not what do I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy Hui
Nancy Hui
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Pearland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: First, try looking everything for this will. Places where he put his important documents. Does he have a safety deposit box? Look at his bank statement. Was there an item for safety deposit box fee? Did he ever write any checks for legal fee? This may be a hint he had met with an estate planning attorney before. If there is a safety deposit box and you suspect the will may be there, an attorney can help you get a court order to have the bank allow you to examine the content. If there is no will, then you still can settle his estate by first determining who is heirs in law are, then apply for an administration so you, or someone else, can become the administrator of his estate. This is not a DIY job. You should contact a probate attorney to discuss further

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.