San Antonio, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: my grandmother passed away in the early 90"s.There is no will. what happens to her property?

My grandparents have a property and never made a living will.They had 7 kids. My mom is the sole survivor of all 7. She is incare/of her property. Can she become the owner of the property? There are22 living nephews and nieces! What becomes of that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy Hui
Nancy Hui
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Pearland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there is no will, then her assets will pass down to her heirs according to the intestacy laws in Texas. That means the law will determine who are the heirs to her properties. Based on what you described, the nieces and nephews, together with your mother, will have a share to the house. They may not be equal shares depending on how many people we are talking about and what their relationships are. It is too complicated to explain over an Internet forum like this. You should contact a probate attorney in your area to help you with your case as this is not a DIY project.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.