Westerly, RI asked in Adoption for Rhode Island

Q: Will a lawyer help me fill out adoption petitions and report of adoptions for free?

I'm getting married in October 2015. My fiancee wants to adopt my 5 year old son once we're married. However, my fiance is not my son's biological father. My son's father lives across the country and has never once seen him, helped with him, paid child support, anything. But I need help filling out the forms, and I just wanted to know if a lawyer will just help me fill out the paperwork, like a guide. Just someone to help me understand everything it wants so this doesn't gets messed up. I can handle the court and judge, I'm not trying to hire a lawyer or anything, just someone to help me deal with the paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If you qualify for free legal services, you may well find an attorney to assist you through Rhode Island Legal Service or the Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Program. If you can afford to hire an attorney, that would be your best avenue. Adoptions are rather a specialized area of practice and the fees you will pay are a sound investment in ensuring your child's future is secured properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.