Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Rhode Island Adoption Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Which Rhode Island court do I petition to unseal documents related to my paternity?

I was born outside of marriage, and then my father signed an "affidavit of legitimation" after he married my mother. Per Rhode Island law, this document is sealed and Vital Records will only issue copies of it with a court order. I am applying for recognition of inherited Italian citizenship... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 28, 2019

Dual citizenship is a special status and probably worth investing with an attorney to assist you. Your chances of success will be much better with a professional advocating on your behalf.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: what are the regulations and limits to how much a birth mothers expenses can be paid.whats the limit in rhode island st?

Neville Bedford answered on Feb 16, 2019



Adoption Subsidy Questions should be directed to Lee Sperduti at (401) 528-3484.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Pregnant again after 5 years since my son was taken and adopted in 2016 can I keep this baby if I have my own place

Neville Bedford answered on Sep 19, 2018

You may have a flag in the DCYF system. If they open a case for this child retain an attorney to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Rhode Island on

Q: How can I prevent my daughter from seeing her biological father?

I have raised my daughter since the week she came home from the hospital after being born. I may not be her biological father, but all she knows is I'm her daddy. Her biological father is not on the birth certificate and has not had contact with my wife since she was about 3 months pregnant and my... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Jul 18, 2018

Help your wife hire an attorney to best advocate for the interests of the child. There will likely be DNA testing and multiple court hearings required.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Rhode Island on

Q: How do u terminate parental rights to allow for step parent adoption without the other party being involved

My ex has not seen my daughter in 8 years my fiance wants to adopt her once were married. My daughter has no desire to see or speak to her father and I have sole custody with all decision making as well as a restraining order all done thru Florida. We now live in Rhode island and I have no idea... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Dec 5, 2017

It is critically important for you to get the location of the biological father so he can be given notice of your intention to adopt the child. Meet with an attorney fluent in adoption and retain them to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Rhode Island on

Q: How do I obtain custody my children?

Basically, I was in a pretty bad relationship that resulted in the pregnancy of my ex girlfriend. Although my son is due in June, she continues to consume wine. Even before the pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her daughter, she would consume wine and other types of liquor. She even smoked a... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Feb 20, 2017

Custody matters are complex and best addressed with the assistance of a professional. Look for, and retain a family court attorney, to make sure you case is presented well.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: I am 26 years old- I have 2half-siblings age 6 & 3. They are being adopted. What are my legal rights for visitation?

I have always been involved with them since before birth- extremely close to them. They are close to my 19 month old son. I have not meet the foster family/ adopted family. What are ways that I can legally protect us to make sure that we will always have contact? I live in CT

Neville Bedford answered on Aug 24, 2015

Work with the attorneys and case worker to see if provisions can be made for you to stay in contact.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: Will a lawyer help me fill out adoption petitions and report of adoptions for free?

I'm getting married in October 2015. My fiancee wants to adopt my 5 year old son once we're married. However, my fiance is not my son's biological father. My son's father lives across the country and has never once seen him, helped with him, paid child support, anything. But I need help filling out... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 12, 2015

If you qualify for free legal services, you may well find an attorney to assist you through Rhode Island Legal Service or the Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Program. If you can afford to hire an attorney, that would be your best avenue. Adoptions are rather a specialized area of practice and the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: Our 16 yr old adopted daughter wants to be un-adopted. Can this be done in RI ?

Neville Bedford answered on Feb 5, 2015

UN-adopted children become wards of the state and are likely to end up in the custody of DCYF. This may not be the optimal situation and the Judges in the family court are not generally inclined to leave a child "parent-less" excepting some extreme situations. Meet with A family Court attorney... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: What would need to be done if I wanted to petition for guardianship of my two granddaughters.

My daughter has had legally guardianship of my grandkids once my other daughter was tpr'd.. She has since they were young doing well but is unable to petition for guardianship.. At this point her sister has three young children of her own and I would like guardianship

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2014

Meet with a family court practitioner to review the situation and assist you in making the modifications you desire.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: My husband wants to adopt my daughters from a previous marriage. if my ex agrees- can I file papers myself?

How difficult is representing myself? Would my ex (who is in a rehab facility) need to appear or would a notarized signature be sufficient?

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2014

Yes, you are free to represent yourself. Sadly, it won't be very easy as you are likely not familiar with the policies and procedures of the courts. Engaging a professional attorney to assist you in navigating the courts ways will be far more efficient and effective. The fees for legal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Rhode Island on

Q: What is my first step?

My friend is pregnant with her fifth child. She wants me to adopt so the child can have a better life. She has lost custody of her four children and they are currently in state care. What is my first step in making this happen. She is due in August. Is there any way to make this a private closed... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 14, 2014

Call an attorney to set up a private meeting and retain them to assist you in the process of adopting the child after it is born.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.