Myrtle Beach, SC asked in Collections for South Carolina

Q: Can the horry county sheriff seize, and sell my primary residence trailer on leased land,to pay off a $8000 judgement?

This is a credit card debt, and my home in Pa is in foreclosure, this 2012 trailer is all we have to live in..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew "Andy" Potter
Andrew "Andy" Potter
  • Anderson, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: If you have a consumer debt judgment, the Horry County Sheriff does nothing unless the judgment holder files a proper action with the court and the court orders the Sheriff to do something specific. It is a challenge to collect judgment debts in South Carolina as a judgment holder must file supplemental proceedings in the same manner as a regular lawsuit. A chapter 7 bankruptcy option would appear to be something you should consider. You need to meet with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer and give him or her full details so that you can decide what is best. The judgment will act as a lien on any real property that you may own in South Carolina.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.