Mansfield, MA asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: My condo is in my name and the deed. Will I have to move or buy her out

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher J Finn
Christopher J Finn

A: It is possible, but very much dependent on the facts of your case. Things like the length of your marriage, when it was purchased, what the equity (if any) is, all are things we would want to know. Judges divide property equitably (fairly) so they will consider a number of different factors in making a determination on what to do with your condo. Without knowing more it would be difficult to advise you on what will happen, but there are oftentimes a number of options with what to do with real estate. Refinances to buy out the interest of your spouse, sale on the open market, agreement that you will keep it free and clear of any claim by your spouse are all possible options, but what is actually done depends on a number of those other factors, and possibly how you choose to divide other debts/assets in your divorce.

Very truly yours,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.