Loganville, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: Will My Stalking Conviction Prevent My Fiance From Obtaining K1 Visa?

Will My Stalking Conviction Prevent My Fiance From Obtaining K1 Visa?

I am a US citizen trying obtain a k1 visa for my foreign girlfriend of 2 years. I am worried this application will be rejected because I was convicted of misdemeanor stalking and 2 counts of trespassing 11 years ago. I had a public defender and filed an Alfred plea, and all I can say is that I never stalked anyone. But the conviction is there so I am not deeply concerned that this will be viewed as though I am a danger to my fiance and she will not be able to obtain a visa. She has no criminal history. Will the stalking prevent me from getting her visa? Do I even need to disclose the trespassing charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David N Soloway
David N Soloway
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: In general, a U.S. citizen's criminal arrest/conviction history will not stand in the way of succeeding with a K-1 application for a fiancee. In some instances where the victim was a minor child, however, immigration authorities may bar a U.S. citizen from a family-based petition, but that bar may be subject to a waiver.

In keeping with Justia policy, this communication is intended as general information and not legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.

David N. Soloway

Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, PC

Atlanta, Georgia



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.