Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Georgia Immigration Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: My wife is here from Hungary with an ESTA Visa. We just married. What is her status after filing i-130 and i-485?

We met two months ago, and our marriage is legitimate. Her visa expires on 8/28, we want to know if she risks deportation while we're waiting to hear back from our i-130 and i-485 applications.

Stephen Arnold Black answered on Aug 13, 2019

Have you filed the adjustment of status application yet?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: Tourist visa keeps getting denied

My boyfriend currently lives in Durban South Africa. He has tried to apply for a tourist visa but has been denied twice now by same lady. Reasons for denying has boiled down to 1) does not have enough money for his trip (he had around $1000 to come to US for two weeks) 2) sister currently married... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black answered on Jul 30, 2019

The reason that the consulate will not grant him a tourist visa is because they don't think he has sufficient ties to his home country to motivate him to property, or long term employment history, or sufficient assets to return home. If he attempts to process at another embassy, it wont... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: American citizen marrying an Australia citizen? How to get visa for the Australian to come work and live together?

My name is Hannah and I am an Australian citizen currently dating an American who lives in Georgia. We have visited each other's countries on and off for the past 2 years on the 90 day travel visa. We are looking for something more permanent and I would like to move to the US to live with him and... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black answered on Jul 30, 2019

The fastest route is for you to get a fiancé visa and then marry him within 90 days of entry and then adjust status to obtain your green card. The fiancé visa takes about 9 to 11 months to get after its applied for. Counsel anywhere in the USA can represent you. Some of us charge very affordable... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: I want to change my employer. I currently hold a valid TN visa, not expired

I read that Mexican nationals who have a valid TN work visa stamped in their passport can change employers by presenting the required letter from the new employer and other supporting evidence directly to the CBP at a Port of Entry. The applicant must pay $50 plus a $6 fee for the new I-94.... Read more »

Svetlana Kats answered on May 23, 2019

For a new employment you need to obtain a new TN visa. Yes you can request visa at the port of entry- just call Atlanta airoport to make sure that they have NAFTA officer to adjudicate your TN What documents to present really depends on the position that you are applying. If your position requires... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: I am a Tanzanian citizen and a green card holder in US. My birth certificate had issues it doesn’t have the correct year

My birth year is 1994 but it was mistakenly put 1988. During the time my mother said she couldn’t fix it cause they wanted so much money which she did not have. She just made me aware of it while am already a permanent resident in US . In few years am going to apply for my citizenship and i wish... Read more »

Sheri A Benchetrit answered on May 16, 2019

You can file an I 90 form to replace your green card and change your birth date. You should try to do this before you file for your citizenship. The error should not affect your ability to get your citizenship as long as you make the change.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: Can I file I-130 for my birth mother?

My father remarried to an American Citizen and I recently got my citizenship through naturalization. Does that count as adoption to that family?

I would like to invite my birth mother by I-130 but I've also read somewhere that you cannot invite your birth parent if the children have... Read more »

Sheri A Benchetrit answered on May 14, 2019

An adoption is a specific legal term. It means that the parental relationship of at least one of the parents has been severed either by law or by death of a parent and the adoptive parent is now the legal parent. The remarriage of your father does not automatically mean that your step mother... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: My new husband is a Jamaican native and i am a us citizen. How can i get my husband US citizenship .

Sheri A Benchetrit answered on May 9, 2019

You are getting ahead of yourself. The first step in the process would be to sponsor him for a green card and then after he has had the green card for a period of 3 years, he can file for his US citizenship. US citizenship is not automatic based on marriage. You must follow the process. You will... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: How long usually take to receive Parole after biometrics are given?

I also did some search on the internet about my situation and some of the immigration attorneys wrote that it is possible to get it sent to the consulate in my country while I am in there or with DHL.

Ecleynne Mercy answered on May 2, 2019

You have a very serious question. You need to consult an attorney any information you find online may not be what you need because of the extent of your case. instead of surfing the web. Set up an actual consultation with an immigration attorney. I understand that its expensive but the risk of... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: My fiancé is illegal immigrant but we want to get married but he has record of driving without license

Would that stop Him from getting papers when he marries?

Ecleynne Mercy answered on May 2, 2019

Certain misdemeanors or felonies can affect the naturalization process. You need to discuss this with an immigration attorney to review his record and see what if any solutions are available to help with the process of naturalization.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: I moved to Ga in February with my girlfriend and my mom upon finding out my son mother who lives in Nj went and filled

Charges of threatened to kill her but I did not nor was I anywhere near her she is mad that I moved on. My former landlord said paperwork came to house. One of my friend called her she said she told them she didn’t want to Pursue any longer because she knows she lied however the state has tAken... Read more »

Ecleynne Mercy answered on Apr 2, 2019

ou need to hire someone to represent you. Cause these are serious charges. Just because the charges are false does not mean they just go away. We are all familiar with many people serving prison time for something they did not do. Protect yourself and hire an attorney. You do not want to wait on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: What can I do if someone threatens to call ice on me ??

I received a message today from someone saying they were you going to call ice on me because they had my address. They are threaten me because I’ve been ignoring they’re calls & messages.

Deron Edward Smallcomb answered on Mar 27, 2019

If you are here unlawfully, anyone could call ICE on you. You should contact an experienced immigration attorney to discuss methods to become lawful in the USA.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Traffic Tickets for Georgia on

Q: Summoned to court and I am a non citizen, will proveing my character help with my case if ICE is contacted?

I come here to the US over 20 years ago. While here I work and I made a family. I have never commited any crimes I even paid taxes! I hate people similar to me are treated like criminals just because of who we are. I soley came here to work and not bother anyone. I help all people of nationalizes... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Feb 28, 2019

Unfortunately, simply being a good person and paying your taxes is not enough to excuse you are in the country without permission.

It is possible that you could be detained by ICE at court, yes. It does happen.

The fact that you have been here for so long, and the fact that you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: Will a Attorney who specializes in ticket law be all I need to represent me in court although I am a non citizen?

What are the types of Attorney someone in my shoes would need for a no license ? Someone with no prior record, could I represent myself by committing guilt by paying ticket? As a non citizen is it a bad idea to agree to charges will that put me at risk?

Kelli Y Allen answered on Feb 27, 2019

Your status does not affect the criminal proceedings, but might bring you to the attention of law enforcement who could start removal proceedings. Hire a criminal defense attorney to discuss the best way to handle the ticket. If you are brought to the attention of ICE and are referred to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: Summoned to court for driving w/o US license but had out of country Lc. What will happen to illegal in Augusta ga?

Greetings ,

I would like to converse with a driven dedicated law firm team about a loved ones current situation.

He received 2 tickets and summoned to appear in court soon. He received a "driving without a license" and also a "open container " ticket. He displayed his Country... Read more »

David Edward Boyle answered on Feb 26, 2019

Hire an attorney in Augusta who handles traffic tickets and who can probably appear in your husband's absence.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: Illegal summoned to court for 2 tickets. No arrest made, Mexico LC was displayed to officer. What will happen in court?

Hello, my fiance was summoned to appear in court for driving without a license a US license. He did present to the ticketing officer his country license that do not expire till June of this year. He was not arrested. He also received a ticket for an open container of which was not his and located... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Feb 25, 2019

Definitely get him an attorney. Criminal activity can impact an immigration case, so concern is not unwarranted. Contact your local bar association for a referral to an attorney familiar with this type of law.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: In this situation with multiple 1-30 form and one is denied will the other be relevant

When mother filed for child and waiting for visa and fiancé also file and if fiancé visa is denied will the 130 from the mom be revoked

Kelli Y Allen answered on Jan 23, 2019

I need a little more detail to really answer, but in general, each I-130 stands alone so one could be denied and another approved. It just depends upon the situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: My mum filed for me and now my fiancé want to file bring me to USA how will that work

Kelli Y Allen answered on Jan 23, 2019

If your mom has only filed an I-130 and you are still waiting on a visa number, then you're better off proceeding with a fiance or spousal visa and the previous I-130 will be irrelevant. I suggest having a full consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss which option is the best for your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Georgia on

Q: My K1 Visa was denied under section 221(g). Please assist..

My fiancé had his K1 Visa interview on January 17,2019 but was told to return today, January 22, 2019, because they needed proof that I was pregnant and lost my child after about 3 weeks into the pregnancy. They told us to either give up the petition or file again under CR1 Visa. What should I do?... Read more »

Kelli Y Allen answered on Jan 22, 2019

This is not something that can be adequately addressed in a Q&A. You need to have a full consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who can analyze the case and discuss options. This is not something you should try to handle on your own.

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law and Child Support for Georgia on

Q: Looking for a lawyers help in a child support case ongoing in greene country GA

My fiance doesn't make much and he's a roofer so when it's raining he cannot work his ex wife keeps asking for money and he hasn't been working and we recently found that she changed the papers he filled out for her to return to court . The hassrasment and threats have to stop

Allen C. Ladd answered on Jan 5, 2019

I don't know if this is an immigration case in any respect but as I am a Georgia-licensed attorney I will advise you to call the State Bar of Georgia in Atlanta and ask for their Lawyer Referral Service, and then ask for help with a family lawyer in Greene County. Your best option may be in... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Antitrust for Georgia on

Q: I went for an interview at USCIS with my wife and she got arrested during the interview.

After visiting her at the prison and speaking to the probation officer and got know she had violation in her probation even before we got married. The immigration has sent me a notice of another interview but I have not gotten date yet. My question is with my wife hidden all this from for a year... Read more »

Allen C. Ladd answered on Jan 5, 2019

Sir, I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you and your wife.

When will she be released from prison? Can you postpone the interview until then?

The best advice I can give you is to find a good immigration lawyer. A couple suggestions: State Bar of Georgia in Atlanta has a...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.