Wapakoneta, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Name change on green card help!!!

I got married to a U.S. citizen in my home country of El Salvador. I didn't get my name changed at the time, but want to now. I came to the U.S. a few months after getting married on a student visa. Due to complications with the school I planned to attend, along with my first baby on the way, I didn't attend school. I applied for Permanent Residency a few months after arriving in the U.S. During the interview with the USCIS agent I asked him to change my name on the card to my Husband's last name. I just got my green card in the mail and the name wasn't changed. I called the USCIS office and they said they saw that they were supposed to change it but for some reason did not. Should I got forward with changing the name, they said it would be free since it was their mistake. I wonder if it is ok to do this since in my home country of El Salvador I didn't have my name changed and I never legally changed it here. We never filed our marriage in the U.S. or anything like that.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David N Soloway
David N Soloway
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: Congratulations upon being approved for Permanent Resident status. Generally, when a woman becomes married and desires to embrace her husband's last name as her own, the law will recognize that new name without any necessity for filing a marriage certificate or taking other steps to accomplish the name change. From an immigration legal standpoint, having the USCIS issue a replacement "Green Card" with your husband's last name shown as your last name, will not be consequential for your ability to continue to be a Permanent Resident or to become eligible to apply for naturalization. If you decide to seek a replacement "Green Card," be prepared for the USCIS to take a long time to complete its responsibilities.

In keeping with Justia policy, this communication is intended as general information and not legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.

David N. Soloway

Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, PC

Atlanta, Georgia



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.