Birmingham, AL asked in Libel & Slander for Alabama

Q: How do I prove a person is slandering me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You prove it with evidence, testimony in court. You don't give any facts here, so I can't tell if you are talking about defamation through a spoken word only (common law slander), or through some writing (common law libel). If you are using the terms precisely, then you would have to be able to put testimony before the court that the person said things that were not true -- and that harmed you in some way. Harm is not just hurt feelings either. This proof is not required in libel, but is required in slander.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.