Alabama Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: My dog got ran over.Lady came back an hour later wanting reimbursement for car damage.Cant find my dog.What can I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Answered on Feb 5, 2018
Jeremy Cohen's answer

Helpful information can be found on the county website, division of animal control. The website states: Animals are not permitted to run at large in Marshall County pursuant to state law. (Code of Alabama, Section 3-1-5).

They also may be able to assist you in locating your dog if your dog is still missing. Their website can be accessed at:

Q: I'm renting a home on a month to month leases. I have rented property 3 months, & rent & water was drafted each week.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Answered on Dec 11, 2017
Samuel G McKerall's answer
The standard drill would be for me to tell you to hire a lawyer but I can tell you can't afford one. We do have legal aid in some counties in Alabama, but with your response due tomorrow (well, today, now - Tuesday) you don't have time to go to them to see if you qualify.

Here's a couple of pointers. If the landlord has really sold the property she would not be the one trying to evict you. If she's sold the property she has no legal standing to sue you. The new owner would be suing...

Q: I am a server in a restaurant. A customer accused me of adding a $4.tip. Customer nor restaurant have receipts.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Alabama on
Answered on Apr 15, 2017
Samuel G McKerall's answer
Nothing. Nothing means NOTHING. Don't talk to law enforcement about it. Don't talk to your employer about it. If either of them want to discuss it with you, politely reply that you will be happy to discuss it with them IF, and only if, your lawyer can be present, Then go hire a layer and do what he tells you. $4.00 is a very small amount of money to get arrested over, but even though its a minor crime a conviction can have significant adverse consequences with respect to future employment....

Q: What can be done about a crowdfunding campaign that is making false statements about my husband to receive money?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Answered on Jul 8, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Further to my answer to your other post, your husbands attorney could write to the crowdfunding site suggesting that they are abetting a libel, why that is so, which they may want to know as crowdfunders try to avoid being dragged into being part of a misrepresentation.

Q: What to do about a crowdfunding page committing libel against you and making false accusations to obtain donations?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Family Law and Child Custody for Alabama on
Answered on Jul 8, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
He should discuss this with the custody attorney. The court may be able to issue an order that she fight her issues in Court, not make unprovable allegations outside.

Q: For my job I sent someone a letter via mail. He posted it on Facebook but changed his name on it to "Corn Man."

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Answered on Apr 21, 2016
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
Could be copyright infringement, but since it was your letter, hard to claim defamation since the truth is an absolute defense.

Q: My soon to be ex wife came home drunk from work. She verbally and physically abused me. I videod the entire incident

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Answered on Feb 14, 2016
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
The short answer is maybe, but the wise answer is that it is not worth the trouble. You have got to get into Court with all of this and get custody of the children (I am assuming the children are not yours alone, but yours and hers) If you had gotten into Court immediately on this you would be in better shape. File your lawsuit and get going on this. The Court can consider all of the things you mentioned in your question when the Court divides property.

Q: How do I prove a person is slandering me?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Answered on May 24, 2015
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
You prove it with evidence, testimony in court. You don't give any facts here, so I can't tell if you are talking about defamation through a spoken word only (common law slander), or through some writing (common law libel). If you are using the terms precisely, then you would have to be able to put testimony before the court that the person said things that were not true -- and that harmed you in some way. Harm is not just hurt feelings either. This proof is not required in libel, but is...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.