Asked in Small Claims for Maryland

Q: What is the law concerning storing other peoples stuff at your house?

My wife and I are separated so this question is for her. Long story short, She had a friendship with a hoarder. This person had been bringing things over and storing them at her place during the course of their friendship. The wife allowed it because she was thinking that she was helping her(oddly enough) Now however, they have ceased to be friends. This person has requested not to be contacted by the wife. Hence, the question. She would like to know what to do with this persons things...thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald V. Miller Jr.
Ronald V. Miller Jr.
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I think the smart thing is to send them a letter certified mail return receipt requested asking them to pick up the property by some date in the future (the longer the better) and otherwise you are going to give the stuff to Goodwill (or whatever).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.