Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska

Q: I am a victim of a robbery, a safe was taken from my residence as evidence how long must i wait to recieve my belongings

Hello. As stated i was living with a roomate while we were robbed at gunpoint. The robbers made out with a safe which then were stopped by police there fore the police took the safe in to evidence. The safe had cash in it and i wanted to know how long approxximately does it take for them to return my belongings. I recently recieved a letter saying one of the robbers was asking to be furloughed. So if the case is over shouldnt i be entitled to my belongings?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: Generally the authorities will need to keep evidence until the case(s) have been decided. Merely because one of the suspects asked to be "furloughed", doesn't mean that request will be granted, or that all prosecutions will be completely over. The case against each defendant will only be over when that person is acquitted, or convicted and all appeal options have been exhausted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.