Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Alaska Criminal Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Civil Rights and Construction Law for Alaska on

Q: How can I get a pro bono? I need one for a criminal case. Can you please point me in the right direction.

All the help I can get would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Gary Kollin answered on Feb 9, 2019

The public defender is the one who provides legal services to the people without funds

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on


Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 12, 2019

Contact the Alaska Bar Association.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Alaska on

Q: I was placed on felony probation after serving time for a felony dwi it will be 10 years ago this may I would like to ca

Case dismissed

Daniel P Leavitt answered on Oct 16, 2018

You will want to talk to an Alaska attorney who does criminal defense to see if they will consider dismissing your case in your circumstances.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Wrongful Death for Alaska on

Q: How do I find a lawyer that will do my case as a Pro Bono? I don't have much money if any and I really need some help.

Please if you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it so much more then you know. Thank you for taking the time to read this

Gary Kollin answered on Sep 29, 2018

Yes. There is an entire law firm. It is called the Public Defender's Office.

If you asking I seek a law firm for you, what can I tell the firm about the following?

What makes you special that you should deserve free services?

Have you paid it forward? That means what have...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: So, the police in my city took my firearm as evidence back in december and the prosecutor sent them the release in Jan.

The detective still will not release my firearm when I am the owner of it and no crime was commited. What do I need to do to get my property back?

Timothy Denison answered on Apr 16, 2018

Send the detective a certified letter requesting release of the property or the reasons why the property is not being released. If there is no response, you should contact a lawyer and have him send a letter prior to filing suit.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for Alaska on

Q: In court language anchorage ak what does just 3AN-P mean or represent.

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 11, 2017

It could be part of the case number.

3 = Third Judicial District

AN = Municipality of Anchorage

P = probate (?)

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Alaska on

Q: Can a Felon with DUI CLASS C FELONY legal buy and Posess a firearm in Alaska?

I have found different answers on

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 17, 2017

It's a federal crime for a convicted felon to possess a firearm. So unless the state site references the federal law it's incomplete.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Alaska on

Q: Hi my sister who is legally age took mostly all of my belongings without permission and packed them up while i was away

What charges can i press in Alaska on her?

I am 22.

Stefan Otterson answered on Mar 21, 2017

Although you are family members, neither of you has an obligation to the other that goes beyond what two strangers would have. This isn't a matter of family law. You could report your sister's acts to the police, or you could bring a civil lawsuit yourself. Unless the property value was very... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: The Police Investigator in my husband's case also operates a private detective business. Is this legal?

The investigator interviewed CIs in his private office and used his issued police radio in a photo advertising his business. In his LLC filing with the department of commerce, he listed "solving criminal cases" as one of the purposes of his business. We live on an island of 4000, and there's no way... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 28, 2017

No, it doesn't appear that the fact that this individual runs a private business on the side affects the validity of his investigative results. Whether or not members of the community think of him as a police officer or as a private investigator doesn't appear to matter as well. Alaska, by the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: Can a adult be charged with crimes that they commited as a minor.

The victim was 11-14. The victim told the police at age 17. The defendant was age 15-18. The defendant and victim are cousins. All of the crimes are sexual crimes

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 16, 2016

Apparently the alleged crimes occurred over a three year period. Yes, the alleged perpetrator can be charged, unless criminal charges are tolled by any applicable statute of limitations, or unless there is an applicable close-in-age exception.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Alaska on

Q: Rule 403 Exluding Relevant Evidence

Senerio: A and B trespass. C asks them to leave and they refuse. C leaves and returns with D who has a shotgun. D tells A and B to leave and they do but file a false report saying D pointed gun at them. During trial A and B are allowed to take the stand and state what D said and did (all of... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 21, 2016

First, I disagree that C's offered testimony should have been excluded as hearsay. What A & B may have said was not offered (I suspect) for the truth of what they said, but rather for what they said. If, for example, A (according to C) said "I am going to get my gun and kill you, C", the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: Jury Duty: What can I do to get the Judge to understand that I would not be a good Juror?

I've received a "Summons for Trial Jury Service" postcard in the mail. I am unwilling to vote anyone "Guilty" of any crime, whatsoever, due to the possibility of someone finding out who I am / where I live.

I do not care if anyone says my information will be kept confidential, or that the... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 30, 2016

You will need to show up on the date and time. If you are actually placed on a jury panel (or "venire"), you will be given the chance to explain your attitude to the court and counsel and will probably be excused from serving on the jury.

It may well be a civil case, by the way, in which...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: Can I be a substance abuse councilor in the state of Alaska with a past(25 years ago) felony record?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 1, 2015

Perhaps. The way to find out is to review the exclusions for licensure.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: What is disorderly conduct conviction? Criminal offense or violation?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 27, 2015

Do you have an answer by now? Look it up in the statutes.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: Hotel management stole weed grinders and pipes from our bags while we were gone. was this legal?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 9, 2015

That is typically called theft, and it is a crime. It was not legal.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: If a 21 and14 year old is in a relationship and both consent to having sex is that okay?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 2, 2015

No. Do an internet search for age of consent in Alaska, and start reading the results to learn more.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Alaska on

Q: I am a victim of a robbery, a safe was taken from my residence as evidence how long must i wait to recieve my belongings

Hello. As stated i was living with a roomate while we were robbed at gunpoint. The robbers made out with a safe which then were stopped by police there fore the police took the safe in to evidence. The safe had cash in it and i wanted to know how long approxximately does it take for them to return... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 14, 2015

Generally the authorities will need to keep evidence until the case(s) have been decided. Merely because one of the suspects asked to be "furloughed", doesn't mean that request will be granted, or that all prosecutions will be completely over. The case against each defendant will only be over... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.