Muskogee, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: How do I gain custody of my 15 year old brother when I'm 19?

My mom and her boyfriend both do drugs and when I was 5 months pregnant she slammed me into a wall and still tells everyone that I was the one who assaulted her. I'm 7 months now, have no job or income at all or a house but once I have those I want toget my brother away from her. She yells at him about his smell or calls him lazy if he didn't do something she said right away. He has autism and he doesn't need her using him as a slave. Last year his grades dropped because she had him cleaning the house at all hours ofthe night.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Tough situation. You will definitely need to be able to show the court that you can provide food, shelter... for your newborn and your autistic younger brother. You should find a local Oklahoma Attorney to help you with the guardianship. TJP

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.