Amarillo, TX asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Military Law for Virginia

Q: Is this feasible? Rape allegations after divorce filed.

I'm in the military and have been going through a pretty nasty divorce. It's take over a year to get finalized and it's finally over. My ex wife extended the process in order to try and increase the alimony in the divorce agreement and keep insurance benefits as well as stay in the house I'm paying for free of rent until the divorce finalizes. We were married 2 years with no kids. Now that the divorce has finalized, she has decided to try and press charges on me for raping her during our marriage. I hadn't heard of this happening until just now and can not recall any times in which this happened. I believe this is an attempt for her to get more money out of me. How serious should I take these allegations. She's been posting on social media about how she's going to get me court marshaled for raping her and that my command has been encouraging her to press charges. I'm not sure what to do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: You need to stop posting things on the internet and go to speak with a criminal defense attorney in your area. Do not speak with anyone else about this, and get copies of all the posts she has made on social media about this to take to the attorney. The attorney will be able to have a full discussion with you about the issues, and will determine the best things to do at this stage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.