Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Lack of federal income tax return? What to do?

We have received the email about our interview for our US Visa application. It is on Sept. 3, 2015. They said that we must bring

- U.S. Federal Income Tax Return for 2014

- W-2 Form(s) for 2014

- Signed letter of explanation and legal basis for not filing Income Tax Returns

of my grandfather (petitioner). He is here in the Philippines and he is not filing income tax return in the US when he was there because his income is low. What will we do? Thank you so much!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Lynn Ryan
Kelly Lynn Ryan
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: To immigrate to the US, you must have the petitioner or petitioner and co-sponsor submit an affidavit of support to demonstrate that you will not be a public charge. Since the petitioner does not live in the US or earn enough to file returns, his affidavit of support alone is probably not sufficient. Consult with an attorney to determine how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.