Weslaco, TX asked in Real Estate Law, Securities Law, Sexual Harassment and Small Claims for Texas

Q: Can a contract be enforced if the seller states he was under the influence?

Yesterday I got the news that the seller has agreed and signed on my offer to purchase a condo. Then today I get a call that he was under the influence of pain medication from yesterday morning's doctor's visit and that he does not remember agreeing to the contract. Can this contract still be enforced of the seller did not disclose that he was under the influence and appeared to the real estate broker to be in good health? Are there any laws put in to protect me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anton Pal Montano
Anton Pal Montano
  • Bellaire, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is difficult to give an accurate answer to this question without knowing all the details of your case. Generally, for example, a person may argue that a contract is voidable because he did not have the capacity or legal ability to enter the contract due to being under the influence of drugs or intoxication. However, it is usually a very high standard requiring the person to prove that he did not understand the nature of the agreement that he signed. I hope this answer is not coming too late, but best wishes to you on your case.

Please note that my answers are for general educational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice regarding your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.